Co-chair of the Vienna Center for Logic and Algorithms
- Member of the council of the Association of Symbolic Logic.
Collecting editor of the International Journals
PC Member of
- IJCAR 2022
- TbiLLC 2022: Fourteenth International Tbilisi Symposium on Language, Logic and Computation
- AiML 2022: Advances in Modal Logic, Rennes (France)
- Computer Science Logic CSL 2022, Goettingen, Germany
- Topology, Algebra and Categories in Logic (TACL) 2022 , Universidade de Coimbra
- NCMPL 2021: Non-Classical Modal and Predicate Logics 2021 , Bochum, Germany
- LORI-VIII 2021 , Jiatong University, China
- Woman in Logic Workshop 2021, Rome, IT
- CADE 2021 , Pittsburgh, US
- IJCAR 2020
- CLAR 2020 , Hangzhou, China
- AIML 2020
- LATD 2020
- Logic Colloquium 2019,
FoSSaCS 2019 ,
Colloquium Logicum 2018 (CL 2018),
Congress of the
Austrian Mathematical Society (co-chair of the section Algebra, Logic and Set Theory) Salzburg 2017,
Computer Science Logic ( CSL 2017 ),
Workshop on Logic Language Information and Computation ( WoLLIC 2017 ),
Automated Reasoning with Analytic Tableaux and Related Methods ( Tableaux 2017),
Topology, Algebra, and Categories
in Logic ( TACL 2017),
7th Indian Conference on
Logic and its Applications ICLA 2017 (Kanpur, India),
ALCOP 2016 (Vienna, chair),
IJCAR 2016 (Coimbra, Portugal)
LATD 2016 (South Africa)
SYSMICS Syntax Meets Semantics 2016 (Barcelona, Spain)
(8th European Symposium on Computational Intelligence and Mathematics),
Manyval 2015 (Les Diablerets, Switzerland),
LICS 2015 (Kyoto);
7th European Symposium on Computational Intelligence and Mathematics. Cadiz,
FOCI 2015 IEEE Symposium
on Foundations of Computational Intelligence (Cape Town)
Tableaux 2015, Wroclaw University, Poland;
LSFA 2015 (International Workshop
on Logical and Semantic Frameworks, with Applications), Natal, Brasil;
TbiLLC: Tbilisi Symposium on Logic, Language, and Computation 2015 (Georgia);
IJCAR 2014 (Vienna);
LATD 2014 (Vienna, Co-Chair);
Israeli Workshop on Non-Classical Logics and Their Applications (Haifa); and
FOCI 2014 IEEE Symposium
on Foundations of
Computational Intelligence (Orlando, US).....
Executive board member
Steering Commitee member of
- the international conference Automated Reasoning with Analytic Tableaux and Related Methods
- the international conference LATD (Logic, Algebra and Truth Degrees).
- the WPI Wolfgang Pauli Institute Vienna.
Research Projects (a selection)
As Principal Investigator
- Reasoning Tools for Deontic Logic and Applications to Indian Sacred Texts
WWTF, "Mathematics and ... Call 2016 " (with Elisa Freschi -- Austrian Academy of Science). May 2017- May 2021 (Amount: 628.000 euro)
TICAMORE: Translating and dIscovering CAlculi for MOdal and RElated logics
Transnational Funding FWF-ANR, (with N. Olivetti and D. Galmiche -- France), February 2017-February 2022 (Total Amount: 630.000 euro)
- Non classical proofs: Theory, Applications and Tools, funded by FWF (Austrian Science Fund),
December 2011-November 2019, (Amount: 960.000 euro).
- Fuzzy Logic: from Mathematics to Medical Applications, funded by WWTF, ``Mathematics and ... Call 2007'' (with P. Adlassnig, Vienna Medical University), 2008-2012, (Amount: 444.000 euro).
- Semantic Characterization of Cut-Elimination,
funded by FWF (Austrian Science Fund), 2006-2009, (Amount: 237.000 euro).
- The Realm of Cut Elimination, bilateral project OEAD Austria-France,
headed by A. Ciabattoni (for the Austrian side) and D. Miller (for the French side), 2007-2008.
- Generating Analytic Calculi for Non Classical Logics, funded by FWF (Austrian Science Fund), Charlotte-Buehler-Habilitation Scholarship, 2003-2005.
- Proof theory of first-order fuzzy logics, EC Marie Curie Individual Fellowship, 2000-2002.
MSCA COFUND Doctoral Programme LogiCS@TUWien.
20 PhD positions. Convenors:
E. Bartocci (Vice-Chair for Programme Admission), P. Cerny, A. Ciabattoni (Vice-Chair for Ethics), T. Eiter, R. Ganian, L. Kovács,
M. Maffei, M. Ortiz (Vice-Chair for Publicity and Outreach), S. Szeider (Chair), G. Weissenbacher, S. Woltran, F. Zuleger (Vice-Chair for Research and Training).
EC-RISE Project MOSAIC (Modalities in Substructural Logics: Theory, Methods and
Applications). (29 Partners), Coordinator for the TU Wien site, 2021-2024
Volkswagen Stiftung. Artificial Intelligence and the Society of the Future Call 2018. Planning grant.
Norm-based reasoning: from legal and moral traditions to AI systems. Interdisciplinar Project together with
Matthias Armgardt (Konstanz),
Adrian Paschke (Berlin) and
Giovanni Sartor (Bologna). April 2019-December 2020
- FWF Doctoral College
Logical Methods in Computer Science , 16 PhD positions.
Convenors: E. Bartocci, A. Biere, R. Bloem, A. Ciabattoni, U. Egly, T. Eiter, C.G. Fermueller, R. Grosu, L. Kovacs, M. Maffei,
M. Ortiz, R. Pichler, U. Schmidt, S. Szeider, G. Weissenbacher, S. Woltran. 2018-2022.
- COST action OC-2017-1-22305
DIGital FORensics: evidence Analysis via intelligent Systems and Practices 2018-2021.
- EC-RISE (3 Years), Marie Curie Action: Research and Innovation Staff Exchange (RISE)
Syntax meet Semantics: Methods, Interactions, and Connections in
Substructural logics (23 Partners, 13 Countries), Coordinator for the TU Wien site, 2016-2019.
- EC-IRSES (4 Years), Marie Curie Action: International Research Staff Exchange Scheme (IRSES), FP7-PEOPLE-2012-IRSES,
GetFUN Generalizing Truth-Functionality (16 Partners, 8 Countries), Coordinator for the TU Wien site, 2013-2017.
- A novel decision support system for training and diagnosis in dermatology . Funded by the Austrian Research Promotion Agency
FFG . Join project with the
Medical University of Vienna (Dr. Riedl) and
Emergentec biodevelopment, 2013-2015.
- Doctoral Programme Mathematical Logic in CS, 10 PhD positions.
Convenors: M. Baaz, A. Ciabattoni, T. Eiter, M. Goldstern, A. Leitsch, R. Pichler, K. Svozil, S. Szeider, H. Veith, S. Woltran, 2010-2013.
- The Challenge of Semantics ,
ESF exploratory workshop,
convenors A. Ciabattoni and M. Baaz, July 2004.
As Scientist in charge
- (OeAD) Ernst Mach Grant for the visiting Ph.D. student Tiziano Dalmonte. Oestereichische
Akademische Austauschdienst (OeAD). September 2020-May 2021.
- Marie Curie Individual Fellowship (IEF)
Thomas Powell , 2020 (Fellowship declined to take a tenure position at the University of Bath)
- (OeAD) Ernst Mach Grant for the visiting Ph.D. student Francesca Gulisano
Solving deontic conflicts: the logic of Mimamsa.
Akademische Austauschdienst (OeAD). 2019-2020.
- Marie Curie Individual Fellowship (IEF)
Proof Theoretic Analysis of Modal Logics
for Bjoern Lellmann (May 2015-April 2017)
Nested Sequents for Interpolation and Realization
for Roman Kuznets (February 2015-January 2017)
I have published papers or edited volumes with various colleagues, including:
Guido Governatori , NICTA, Brisbane.
Alwen Tiu, ANU Canberra.
Klaus-Peter Adlassnig, Medical Expert and Knowledge-Based Systems,
Medical University of Vienna.
Federico Aschieri , Institut für Discrete Mathematics and Geometry, TU Vienna.
Matthias Baaz, Institut für Discrete Mathematics and Geometry, TU Vienna.
Ezio Bartocci, Institut of Computer Engineering, TU Vienna.
Kees van Berkel , Institut für Logic and Computation, TU Vienna.
Christian G. Fermüller, Institut für Logic and Computation, TU Vienna.
Alexander Leitsch, Institut für Logic and Computation, TU Vienna.
Schahram Dustdar, Distributed Systems Group, Information Systems Institute, TU Vienna.
Francesco Genco Institut für Logic and Computation, TU Vienna.
Timo Lang Institut für Logic and Computation, TU Vienna.
Bjoern Lellmann , Institut für Logic and Computation, TU Vienna.
Tim Lyon , Institut für Logic and Computation, TU Vienna.
Emery Neufeld, Institut of Computer Engineering, TU Vienna.
Christian Platzer, Distributed Systems Group, Information Systems Institute, TU Vienna.
Florian Rosenberg, Distributed Systems Group, Information Systems Institute, TU Vienna.
Revantha Ramanayake, Institut für Logic and Computation,
Lara Spendier, Institut für Logic and Computation, TU Vienna.
Thomas Vetterlein, Department of Knowledge-based Mathematical Systems, University of Linz.
Helmut Veith, Department of Formal Methods in Systems Engineering, Information Systems Institute, TU Vienna.
Carlos Olarte , UFRN
Elaine Pimentel , UFRN
Elisa Freschi , DEpartment of Philosophy, University of Toronto.
Richard Zach, Department of Philosophy, University of Calgary.
Petr Hajek, Institute of Computer Science, Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic, Prague.
Pavel Rusnok, Institute for Research and Applications of Fuzzy Modeling, Ostrava.
Moataz El-Zekey, Department of Basic Sciences, Institute of Technology, Benha University.
Dov M. Gabbay, Department of Computer science, King's College London.
Sanjay Modgil , King's Colledge, London.
Nicola Olivetti, Department of Computer Science, Paul Cézanne University, Marseille.
Lutz Strassburger, INRIA Research Centre, Saclay -Ile-de-France.
Mattia Bongini ,
Faculty of Mathematics, University of Technology Munich.
, Department of Philosophy II Logic and Epistemology, Ruhr University Bochum .
Arnon Avron, Department of Computer Science, Tel-Aviv University.
Ori Lahav, Department of Computer Science, Tel-Aviv University.
Anna Zamansky, Information Systems Department, University of Haifa.
Stefano Aguzzoli, Department of Computer Science, University of Milano.
Andrea Asperti, Department of Computer Science, University of Bologna.
Paolo Baldi , University of Milan.
Antonio Di Nola, Department of Mathematics and Computer Science, University of Salerno.
Mauro Ferrari, Department of Computer Science, University of Varese.
Brunella Gerla, Department of Computer Science, University of Varese.
Francesca Gulisano, Department of Philosophy, Pisa University.
Duccio Luchi, IBM Italia.
Vincenzo Marra, Department of Informatics, University of Milano.
Franco Montagna, Department of Mathematics, University of Siena.
Giovanni Sartor, Department of Law, University of Bologna and European University Institute.
Marco Aiello, Department of Computer Science, Groeningen.
Paolo Maffezioli, Department of
Norbert Preining, JAIST Research Center for Integrated Science, Kanazawa.
Kazushige Terui, Research Institute for Mathematical Sciences, Kyoto.
Francesc Esteva, Artificial Intelligence Research Institute, Bellaterra.
Lluis Godo, Artificial Intelligence Research Institute, Bellaterra.
David Picado, European Center for Soft Computing, University of Oviedo.
George Metcalfe, Department of Mathematics, Bern.
Nikolaos Galatos, Department of Mathematics, University of Denver.
- Olszewski Maya Alexandra (from September 2020)
- Kees (Cornelis) van Berkel
(from January 2018)
- Francesca Gulisano (Scuola Normale Superiore, Pisa). Thesis: Normative reasoning in Mimamsa: a deontic logic
approach , defended January 2021
- Tim Lyon Thesis:
Refining Labelled Systems for Modal and Constructive Logics with Applications, defended July 2021
- Francesco Genco .
Thesis: Intermediate logics and concurrent lambda-calculi: a proof theoretic approach , defended May 2019
- Paolo Baldi.
Thesis: Standard completeness: proof-theoretic and algebraic methods ,
defended August 2015
- Lara Spendier. Thesis:
Tools for the Investigation of Non-classical Logics , defended June 2015