Post-symposium day: Sunday 30. April - Trip into WachauOn the day after the symposium there is the possibility to join a trip into the Wachau, one of the most scenic areas around Vienna. This trip is not included in the registration fee. The trip will include a visit to the famous Abbey of Melk and a visit to the lovely Wachau village Dürnstein via a cruise on the river Danube.
The fee for this trip, 100 EUR, is not included in the conference fee.
- 9:00 departure from Vienna
- 10:30 Arrival in Melk
- 10:45 - 12:00 Guided Tours
- 12:30 - 13:00 Organ Recital by Walter Thirring (see below)
- 13:15 buses depart for ship dock in Melk
- 13:30 ship leaves dock for Danube Cruise with buffet lunch on board
- 15:00 Arrival in Dürnstein, time to walk around
- 16:30 buses return to Vienna
- 17:30 arrival in Vienna
About the Organ Recital by Walter ThirringMusical Program:
- W. Thirring: Phantasy and Fugue in g-major
- J.S. Bach: Adagio from the Toccata in c-major
- J.S. Bach: Toccata and Fugue in d-minor
About the Program (by Walter Thirring):
Hopefully, Sunday April 30th will be a beautiful spring day, so I felt I should not open with a piece in minor. To introduce myself I chose a composition of my own in G-major. It is melodious and easy (to the listener).
The baroque cathedral in Melk also calls for the sound of Bach's organ music. Therefore, I'll play two of his "evergreens".
In the "Toccata in C" one can find his most touching adagios, and the "Toccata and Fugue in d-minor" will be a glorious audio experience in the huge cathedral.